Gu Family Book – First Impression

cruelOnce in a while, a love story moves me to tears just thinking about it. I have a feeling the parents story in Gu Family Book will be one of those. From now on, whenever I see butterflies or bags of peaches – I’ll start tearing up and no one around me will have a clue why. The only people who would understand are YOU guys. *sniff*
cute wrI didn’t read any of the synopsis or character descriptions for this one so I really went into it a bit blind. I heard vague references to “gumiho’s” and “sageuk” which didn’t really stir much in me beyond knowing there would probably be torture scenes. I didn’t understand (and still don’t) much about what the story will entail. I just know that after watching the first two episodes, I love Wol-Ryung more than any other fantasy creature I’ve ever encountered. (Yes – step off, Edward)
flowerWol-Ryung (Choi Jin Hyeok) is a delightful, sweet gumiho – not what I was expecting. I was sure there would be some reference to him eating…human livers? Nope, not at all. I also thought all the villagers would be aware of him and live in fear? Nope, wrong about that too. He’s lives alone in a cave, a guardian spirit to the mountains he inhabits. He’s innocently curious about the humans who live down that mountain, probably having no clue that humans can be horrible. Not only to him but to each other.
peachHe encounters this cruelty first hand when he sees a young woman being tied to a tree and left there for 3 days. He fights against his instinct to rescue her. He fights with his monk friend, who warns him against interfering in human matters. He goes about his business until this very woman wanders into his forest one day and he catches her before she falls. She is Seo-Hwa (Lee Yeon Hee) and he is immediately smitten.
weddingHe brings her to his cave and attempts to make her happy. Food? Will it be rabbit or peaches? When she chooses peaches, he climbs trees to bring her as many as his bag can hold. When he sees her smelling flowers? He brings her arm fulls of flowers. When he sees a slight smile on her face while she’s watching butterflies? He traps hundreds in a bag and unleashes them in front of her. He asks her to marry him and they have a beautiful ceremony right there ย in the forest. There appears to be nothing he won’t do for her.ย He even finds out what happened to the rest of her family and lies so that she won’t be hurt.
GF kissWhich makes her betrayal of him all the more heartbreaking. When soldiers find her and she discovers he is a …monster of some sort, she is naturally frightened out of her mind. When she’s told her family is dead and realizes he lied to her – she’s not given enough time to think about it before she willingly leads hunters to his mountain. Does it sound like I’m making excuses for her? Yes, I probably am. Because the look on her face when he is stabbed tells me she’s sorry. She finally understood he meant her no harm. And he loved her.
WR SHWol-Ryung disappears in a puff of sparkling lights and Seo-Hwa falls to her knees, crying. She later discovers she is pregnant and seems terrified she will give birth to a monster. Her shock and tears after giving birth to a normal baby also tells me she will live the rest of her life, heartbroken and regretful. Missing this mountain spirit who saved her and brought happiness into her life for a short time. I don’t know what happened to either of them, we’re not given any definitive answers. (Yet)
vines 2Next week begins the story of that baby and everyone will move on. I, however, will be stuck on that mountain with this lovely couple for a while longer. I could very easily have watched much more of their story, my heart was captured. Beautiful story, gorgeous cinematography, and lovely chemistry between these two actors. If you want to watch a quick, romantic love story but don’t wish to get embroiled in a whole 24-episode, action saguek – don’t miss the first two episodes of Gu Family Book. Just make sure you have tissues.

If anyone needs me, I’ll be in Moonlight Garden – eating peaches.

gorgeous

night

• msclockwatcher msclockwatcher says:

The featured image is really pretty. In fact, all of them are quite visually stunning. Lovely colors.

• Jillia says:

D’awwww…. beautifully written, tessie! T-T I will never forget this lovely couple and I hope they will get their happy ending in the end. ๐Ÿ™‚

And btw this: “(Yes โ€“ step off, Edward)” totally cracks me up. xD

• arch00 says:

OMG tessieroo
    thank you so much . Awww my first OTP . I will miss so much them but still in my heart i am still hoping they make a comeback.
    Your writing is awesome.
    Totally DAEBAK

• tessieroo says:

Hey @arch, good to see you here! I know you’re a huge fan of this couple, me too. *hee* Thank you so much for stopping by and with such a nice compliment. ๐Ÿ™‚

• milktea says:

I’ve just watched the first episode. I’m not the typical easy crier, but why do I feel so much for Seohwa just in a very short time? :'(
    So, there’ll be more tragic by the time I watch second episode *prepares for more tissue*

• tessieroo says:

@milktea – Oh, sorry if I spoiled this for you! Yes, you need tissues for the end of EP 2. It’s really heartbreaking. But I’m optimistic about this couple. Thanks!

• milktea says:

Aww, don’t be! Episode 2 is so heartbreaking. I was like, “Why? Whyyyyy?” when Wol Ryung died and disappeared *cries* Choi Jin-hyuk and Lee Yeon-hee surely make a lovely couple. Can we have them in their own drama? ๐Ÿ˜‰
        Can’t wait for next week! Seunggi <33

• h0ns_niech says:

Wow tessieroo, you are such productive drama girl!!!! Hahahhaha.. Now I’m in dilema to watch this eps and when a man loves.. And that’s because your delightful recaps..

Ottoke.. I still need a rest after that winter’s wind storm stirred my heart.. -____-”

Thanks for the recap..

• ZarraJae says:

This is truly so sweet. Yes, their short love story will remain with us for a long time to come.

• leila8mae says:

I love Choi Jin Hyuk!! OMG, hearing his voice alone.. I think I’m satisfied not to see Suzy nor Lee Seung Gi!

kidding aside, just watching the first episode, i think I’ve shed a bucket of tears already.. such a moving story.. it’s so gripping.. watching another sageuk, is really worth it.

great work tess!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• fruitplus says:

Thank you tessieroo. CJH is so adorable! Looking forward to your future review on Kang Chi and Dam.

• tessieroo says:

Hey @fruitplus! I won’t be recapping this one completely but I might jump in here & there if an episode pulls at my heart. Thanks for the encouragement though!

• Even it’s just 2 episodes, they are be my favorite couple (Wol Ryung – Seo Hwa couple)
    Lovely effects..Beautiful sceens..Deep chemistry. Hope i can see more sceens about this couple. Of coure waiting for the happy ending~ ๐Ÿ™‚

• nonski says:

great post tessie! i was wondering at first if it would all be papa gumiho. ๐Ÿ™‚ *jokes* but kidding aside, the story of WR and SH deserves a book/drama of their own. like you tho, i am not sure if the young un’s could deliver the same intensity as the parents did.

• tessieroo says:

Hey @ate! *passes a peach* You gonna hang out with me in Moonlight Garden? (LMAO) I really hope the kids bring it next week too but I think it also depends on what the story is about and if I can get into it or not. I’m praying it’s good…Thank for the comment! ๐Ÿ™‚

• nonski says:

thanks for the peaches and of course i’m hanging out with you in Moonlight Garden! (we’ve got company ๐Ÿ™‚ )