“Reply 1994” Finale Spoiler: Na Jung’s Husband Is…?

Kim Jae Joon!

Here’s their reunion video:

I thought the finale was amazing and even though I tried to be neutral with my preview posts, I’ve always felt that this was her husband so it has been such an easy, wonderful watch for me.

I know tons of people are mad and sad right now because they expected something else but simply following the narrative (without thinking much about the 2013 scenes), this is the natural conclusion. Sung Na Jung only ever loved one man in this drama and she was willing to wait for him no matter what. So I’m glad she got the ending she wanted. And of course, Kim Jae Joon also loved her despite all his fears and anxieties and I’m glad that this caring oppa, hyung and son has finally found someone he can lean on emotionally.

While this drama has its fair share of flaws, it was emotionally engaging and is a great drama I will surely miss.

Credit to the uploader.

• Aimee^^ says:

I know that Trash would be the husband but it really is very disappointing to waste such a man like Chilbong. I’ve been on Chilbong’s side since day 1. I still believe that ,even if this drama is over, Na Jung deserves to be treated as she should be. Chilbong has been wearing his emotions on his sleeves but Na Jung is just blinding with the Oppa she loves. It really is very very very Sad. Still TEAM CHILBONG ALL THE WAY!!!

• saema says:

I agree with you! Yoo Yoon Seok played such an amazing character only to be used as a device in that love triangle to keep up the mystery until the end.True, Na Jung liked Trash. GAH. i dont want to see Chilbongie sad! 🙁

• Aimee^^ says:

Yeah… sooo sad…. I am still a big Yoo Yoon Seok fan. I do hope that they will make a drama where he will be the lead actor and not just the second lead just like in Gu Family Book and this one. Oppa! Fighting!

• maqorong says:

Oh man… love is cruel.
      Chilbong is blinding with Najoong just like Najoong is blinding with Oppa… It hurts to watch when all of them holding the pain of love on episode 19.

Chilbong is awesome character. He’s like Soujiro from Rurouni Kenshin. Both have beutiful yet painful smile

• Li says:

Seriously though. I wanted Chilbong and NaJeong to be together. It’s such a shame.

• guina says:

‘Reply 1994: when tricking audiences is more important than the story making sense.

Reply 1994 videos and misc files —–> Recycle bin

• Ketu says:

I loved loved loved the ending. I fully expected it and there were no surprises. Great episode and great series. Loved the gang appa and Amma.

I tried to reasonable and understand CB fans pain but honestly stop saying they changed the ending, trashy ending, NJ sucks, Oppa sucks and mainly stop blaming the actors it s just bitter and real petty.
    As to those 2002 photo shopped reasons it was clearly explained the groom was a stand in and they are not shooting anything close to the real wedding except NJ and appa and amma.

• snowberry11 says:

I think the ending little lack in some scene, like rush and no time.. Too many scene missing in, not like reply 1997.
    But happy for NJ, he can marry oppa like her wanted since child.. I will never forget CB character, he’s great guy!

• Christina says:

It’s not the factfans that CB didn’t end up with NJ that I’m mad, just the fact that CB was given a pathetic ending. Writer could have at least made CB end up with an attractive girl, instead he was paired up with a strange girl we don’t even know much about. I mean if NJ doesn’t end up with CB at least give some credit to CB and give him a decent ending like the rest of the gang. I would have written the ending much differently if I were the writer, no offense. I think the writer could have been more creative and given us two possible endings one for T fans and one for CB fans, which would be more appropriate given it is a lighthearted comedy. CB was wasted given like 3 min of screen time for five ep. All the rest of gang got much better treatment. And much more screen time. Even a whole ep was devoted to BG.

• saboriana says:

I always complain that the heroines in dramas are too complaisant, and Candy cookie cutter types. Which is why I love Na Jung so much, in this story she is the hero. She loved one man and from start to finish she never waved. Na Jung told us from the start what she wanted “My dream was to marry oppa”, “I like oppa”, and if you watch Reply 1994 from a narrative point and viewed Na Jung as the lead character and removed the gender factor then the who’s the husband question becomes a non-factor.

Although I am an oppa fan from start to finish, I would like to thank this writer for given us two well thought out, loveable characters. They were not perfect, but it was their flaws, their loneliness, solitude, and quiet ways of loving which captured our hearts. Thank you CB and oppa for being all around decent, dignified human beings, who did not use their pain, loneliness, and love to justification disregarding what the person they love needed, and indulging in tantrum throwing when they don’t get their ways.

As a drama watcher who has been on many a sinking ships, I thinking shipping is fun, illogical, bias driven, and flawed finding. For me shipping is believing that your character is the best and only choice, and if the writers, other characters, and the world can’t see that, than that’s because everyone is blind.

Shipping is about setting you alarm to a foreign countries time because you have to know as soon as possible what happened to your ship, and by chance you get the ending that you wanted, then shipping is about boasting that you knew all along that your ship was the best ship, end game, that you have always been 100% certain (even though you’ve been sweating bullets and ripping out your hair the entire time) and you have no idea what those other shippers are talking about, because obviously their ship was never a contender.

The beautiful thing about shipping is that like love, it’s a choice which requires no explanation or justification, because it just is. And finally shipping is about never learning your lesson and blindly getting on the next ship.

• marsbray says:

Beautiful post.

The shipping war on this drama was unreal. People were fighting in the comment sections of site after site. Never seen anything like it, not even Team Jacob vs. Team Edward was this heated.

I loved the show and I thought the ending was fitting. The show had some flaws, but I think the positives exceedingly outweigh the negatives.

• Denali says:

At last – a kdrama with a consistent story narratively up until its very end. *fistpump*

• Newbie says:

So true! Someone watching this show without chosing a ship, knew from very early on, what the writer intended: to show, how Trash and NJ became a couple. Chilbong, as sweet as he is, never was a real contender for her affections.
      The show was flawed, because it was too long, but they had a great ensemble, some wonderful actors and a consistent story. Will miss all of them.

• shinko says:

It ended as it should have. I don’t really understand the outrage of the viewers who wanted CB and NJ together. NJ never wavered in her love for Oppa. They devoted most of the show to their journey as a couple so why the upset? I liked CB as a character, but NJ’s feeling were always clear. On New Years Eve, she covered her mouth in case he decided to kiss her. When he arrived at the boarding house after New Years, she barely looked up at him while the rest of the boarders and family were excitedly talking to him. She was rarely seated beside him when they were in a group. When he opened his mouth to be fed by her, she handed him a fork….well, you get my drift.

The ease and naturalness of NJ/Oppa’s interaction was a joy to watch…Once they kissed and he proposed, there was no going back. Actually did not think they could have all those lying in bed scenes without them being the OTP. I wanted to be open minded to the idea of CB being the end game, but it never seemed like a logical path. I’m happy with the end… little less happy with all the 2013 scenes because that was where viewers were mislead.

The notion of “deserving” love, another thing I’ve heard from CB shippers, is very strange to me. Love is a two way thing that happens organically. No one is ever obligated to reciprocate love if they don’t feel it. and How is one person more deserving than someone else? I’ve also heard viewers complain that they made CB so pathetic because he had little family support and friends and he waited for nothing. I think it was incredibly admirable that he realized that he couldn’t force something that wasn’t going to happen. And in 2013 he still has the friendship and family in the old gang. He didn’t look pathetic to me at the end.

• Zane Araki says:

Shinko, what a well written post! I agree with you, it’s pretty clear from the start how the show is going to carry. I’m in the minority of not liking Chil Bong because his personality is a bit plain compared to Trash, which on the contrary is goofy, ecstatic and kind of… crazy? I’m just enjoying more the Trash and Na Jung interaction because they can play it off as brother and sister and lover. Their relationship is much more dynamic like that, compare to Chil Bong and Na Jung.
      I think the ending is decent, but I’d really wish for the writer to shorten the husband guessing game, in order for us to be shown the progress of the couple relationship after they got married. I think it’d been more interesting that way.

• Zane Araki says:

@Shinko I agree with you, it’s pretty clear from the start how the show is going to carry. I’m in the minority of not liking Chil Bong because his personality is a bit plain compared to Trash, which on the contrary is goofy, ecstatic and kind of… crazy? I’m just enjoying more the Trash and Na Jung interaction because they can play it off as brother and sister and lover. Their relationship is much more dynamic like that, compare to Chil Bong and Na Jung.
      Anyway, I really enjoy this show as I haven’t watch the other installment and since from the first episode I can already feel that it’s gonna be Trash lol..

• alkfjals says:

Horrible finale -.- it sucks

• Lynn Hoang says:

Hu hu hu, the ending is not my expectation, too disapointed. Do not have inspiration to keep watching 2 last episodes. Why let my Chilbong be sad 🙁

• conan says:

I thought the ending was pretty good. All dramas are predictable, no matter how unique the premise is. I knew Na-jung was going to end up with Trash. The writers had them date earlier than most people want them to because they had to go through obstacles for them to realize that they should be together no matter what. To me that feels more natural than having the couple only hook up right at the very end. And I love that in the end, it was Na-jung’s choice. It wasn’t fate, it wasn’t some crazy voodoo. Na-jung wanted Trash, Trash came through, and they ended up together.

Although, I was a bit disappointed that Chilbong wasn’t given a happier ending. Even though it was implied he was inevitably happy, it felt like he’s going to be a lonely soul forever. A large reason why I was on Team Chilbong was because he’s such a great guy but he’s just so sad. He’s not close with his family, aside from Binggrae. His work forces him to be away from people he loves and he has to spend endless nights alone. But I guess it’s inevitable when you’re on top. People at the top of the mountain are lonely.

Also, so sad that Yoo Yeon-seok was only there as a device for our confusion. I was so excited he finally gets to play a character that wasn’t a pathetic bastard. Chilbong was great, and he was played with lots of heart and charm, but as a character he didn’t really go anywhere. He has his ups and downs with his career, but he doesn’t seem to fazed by it. Other than that, he’s the most stagnant character to me. From the beginning he loved Na-jung and only Na-jung, and only until the very end it clicked in his mind that the past 8 years his love life was a joke. And that realization felt very sudden to me. Like they had to make him stop, because he has to be removed from our OTP. Also, come to think of it, is Chilbong sad because Yoo Yeon-seok just looks sad? Even his smile seems so sad… Poor guy.

Aside from the whole Chilbong debacle, I thought the drama was good, better than most dramas these days. Episode 21 though made me realize the true charm of the Reply series: the family, the friends. Life isn’t all about love, which dramas tend to make it seem. Seeing the last breakfast really choked me because that’s what’s so good about life, isn’t it? Even though your life is tough, you can’t get a job, or you’ve been fighting with your girlfriend, once you come together with your friends everything is good. I’m honestly jealous of this gang because they’re so tight knit. They truly had a great 20s, filled with ups and downs and lots of beer.

• Kimmi says:

This show really disappointed me and my friend. We feel that this show set feminism back 20 years. We understand at the beginning that she was going for what she wanted and that was great but to see her mope for such an uneven relationship —Najung did not grow up. The show would have meant more showing a first love and how one grows out of it and into a more mature relationship – one could say that chil bong could have grown out of his love for Najung – which he did because he had to – but at the same time it would have been better to see Najung open up to a more equal relationship with Chil bong. It felt like a cop out going back to your first love and being stuck in the past instead of taking a leap towards a future that could be more. It felt like Najung was scared to move on. We get that she followed her heart — but it doesn’t make sense that they would get back together after everything that has happened to them being apart. People change, just because you never forget your first love does not mean that you have to end up with them. First loves usually are the ones that make you aware of yourself but they are not necessarily the ones that make you grow and challenge you into being a better version of yourself. We felt like she was stuck — it felt like an arrested development. Maybe we are just too western to get the whole first love thing but as much as we loved Najung’s younger character we felt like she stalled as a person. She was not the same Najung who would have learned to be more independent while living overseas. Her character started out very strong — how would it feel like to be with a man who doesn’t even tell you that his mother died ?? — and to go back to that man? It was just not a healthy relationship for either of them. She could have been so much more than that. Chil bong’s character next to Najung’s would have elicited more progression in her character if that relationship went further. He treated her as an equal not like a child. We get that the show is about nostalgia but that does not mean that the characters have to be locked in the past. Everybody has to grow and it seemed like no one did in this show .
    And seriously 90 minutes of filler — just sayin’.

• dramadict says:

I didn’t see the whole point of them extending this drama. The only difference from the final episode and from when trash proposed was that hae tae found his first love and chilbong quit on najung… In the end the last 4 episodes just make me feel really sorry for chilbong… His love interest of 6 years marries, He is constantly lonely, he ends up on the Seoul twins baseball team instead of some major league, and his body is ruined after all those years of try-hard baseball. Personally i felt like najung and trash broke up for stupid reasons and got back together for stupid reasons… It was clear they both liked each-other… but they broke up cuz of what??? there was no change in either najung or trash… even though they were the main leads their characters were pretty flat and lacking in any major changes. The only change i saw from trash was that on the last episode *he* told najung he loved her instead of her confessing. other than that i can’t really say i saw any change. Overall I liked the ending for its nostalgic goodbye but i end up feeling so sorry for chilbong. I am happy that najung is living happily with trash, but they way that chilbong left the hospital before he was better and the way he apologized to najung for needing time to get over her made me tear up… In conclusion REPLY 1994 was an amazing drama that has a special place in my heart. I will always remember the endearing characters and I hope to see Yoo Yeon Seok and Jung Woo in the coming year.
    (BTW I’m team chilbong just in case you were wondering. I knew it was going to be trash but chilbong is still the man my heart goes out to.)
    k bye ~

• Denali says:

Nah we were not wondering, because your ship was pretty obvious.

I am neither Team Trash nor Team CB. Just a random and demanding viewer, tired of unconsistent story/acting/direction -wise, and in this particular case tired of the immature/delusional/rude demeanors of netizens focusing on an unexisting love triangle.

My analysis of such behaviors brought me to conclude that viewers, especially younger ones, will tend to live the story unfolding before their eyes by proxy. Thus whatever happens or not to the character which the viewer favors as a potential lover/”husband” will generate violent reactions, if expectations are not met, such as bashing the writer, actors, characters whom they previously supported wholeheartedly. Taking a step back, reflecting upon one’s actions, realizing that the thin line between real life and fictive life has been crossed should help get back on track and be an actor in one’s own life; not a viewer of someone else’s imagination getting displayed onscreen for the sole pleasure of entertainment to fill a void in real life.

• teehee says:

Ummm just to make sure… you’re saying people should not take the drama so realistically right?

• Denali says:

I’m saying that, well, this is just a fictive drama. That dealt with way more than first loves, only this was rarely ever discussed even on forums as if the whole story revolved around NJ/Trash/CB.

• MEGG says:

OMG!!!! Soo sad….poor Chilboongie!!!

• Christina says:

It’s not the fact that CB didn’t end up with NJ that I’m mad, just the fact that CB was given a pathetic ending. Writer could have at least made CB end up with an attractive girl, instead he was paired up with a strange girl we don’t even know much about. I mean if NJ doesn’t end up with CB at least give some credit to CB and give him a decent ending like the rest of the gang. Make him paired up with someone like NJ, an attractive female announcer or something. I would have written the ending much differently if I were the writer, no offense. I think the writer could have been more creative and given us two possible endings one for T fans and one for CB fans, which would be more appropriate given it is a lighthearted comedy. I think they totally wasted a man like CB, he’s a really good guy. They treat everyone better than CB seriously and to justify it I guess they make him into a celebrity. They give him like 5 episodes with 3 min of screen time. The whole rest of the gang gets better treatment and more screen time-even the supporting ones like Haitai, BG, and SCP. They seriously devoted one whole ep to BG.

• shinko says:

Why do you think CB had a pathetic ending? In 2002 and 2013, CB is clearly happy, and all are getting along. Everyone is on good terms with one another – no hard feelings either way. He didn’t seem upset or depressed. He had moved on and is happy like the rest of the boarders. In my opinion it would have seem more manufactured if he moved on quickly to another love interest. Jung Yumi who played the girl he bumped into is a well known very respected film and TV actress. She’s an excellent choice if you were concerned about caliber of the possible love interest.

• Christina says:

Sorry, but there are so many better well known actress he could have been paired up with-like Song Hye Kyo, Kim Tae Hee, and Han Hyo Joo. All to me are more attractive. I’m sorry, but CB looks like a weird guy who would go after a stranger. That’s how I perceive it. CB is happy, it’s almost weird why he would be so nice to NJ and her parents. That to me makes no sense.

• hira says:

i looooveeee Jung Yoo Mi, more than Song Hye Kyo, Kim Tae Hee, and Han Hyo Joo. for me she’s perfect for chilbong. she and eric mun are amazing in Que sera sera.

• hartofseeker says:

despite this series’ tendency to neglect the backgrounds of the rest of the gang (besides their friendship), this last episode was one of the most powerful episodes Answer Me 1994 gave us. We got to understand why Trash and Najung broke up– they loved each other but wasn’t willing to go to the next step of sharing each others lives with each other– the parts where they’re the weakest. And here, Trash took the first step to admit that he was at a weakened state and needs her. That’s when the walls come crashing down, and they can really become one. And as we saw, Trash really matured after this– sneaking out from military duty to see her earlier, they now are familiar with the challenges in each other’s work place, they can empathize with and comfort each other. It’s no longer just a dating relationship, but a firm relationship between two people who will be sharing the rest of their lives together.

And the love he has for Najung’s family? His non-verbal, steadfast way of winning over Dad’s approval for marriage? That convo he had with Mom killed me… Samcheonpo and Haitai claiming blankets? oof~ I only wish to see more Bingeure and Die-Die interactions lol weren’t they married by the time of Trash and Najung’s wedding? where was she???

• Ella Mae Peralta says:

You all are being so dramatic. Its just a TVshow. BE REAL. YOU AWESOME PEOPLE!!!

• chilbong lover says:

should i keep watching or not?? i am hoping that she will married chilbong..ahhhh why…………………..i shoulg stop watching cuzs it will make me sad wathing my chilbong…:(…why why why..

• chilbong lover says:

i not gaing to watch it anymore….i feel so sad knowing that chilbong is not her husband…hate to see my chilbong sad

• vishawjeet says:

the ending sucks

• EURI says:

WHY ON EARTH , I SEARCHED IT ON GOOGLE , WHO WILL BE THE GROOM!! >.< SOOOOO DISAPPOINTING, I AM TEAM CHILBONG! NOT BECAUSE HE IS GOOD LOOKING THAN TRUSH , BUT HELL!! HE LOVES NA JUNG MORE THAN TRUSH LOVES HER!!! HE IS WILLING TO WAIT NO MATTER WHAT!! BOBO NA JUNG!! EPISODE 17 PALANG AKO 🙁 BAKIT KASI BIGLA NA LANG PUMASOK SA ISIP KO ISEARCH ANG ENDING :((((( SO DISAPPOINTED!! :'( LIKE WHAT I FELT IN REPLY 1988. I AM TEAM JUNG HWAN , BUT TAEK IS THE HUSBAND 🙁 HUSTISYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! T.T