Teaser 1 Drops For Upcoming SBS “Defendant” With Ji Sung

The drama following “Romantic Doctor – Teacher Kim” on SBS released the first teaser and we’re intrigued. It’s called “Defendant” and stars Ji Sung. I mean…it’s JI SUNG! (LOL) From AsianWiki:

Park Jung-Woo is a prosecutor at Seoul Central District Prosecutors’ Office. One day, he wakes up and finds himself in locked up at the police station. He has temporary amnesia. Park Jung-Woo is falsely accused and is sentenced to death. He must struggle to prove his innocence.

“Defendant” also stars Yuri (SNSD), Uhm Ki Joon (Dream High, Scent Of A Woman), Uhm Hyun Kyung (The Good Wife), and Kim Min Suk (Doctors). I usually find legal Kdramas to be massively boring (and the whole amnesia idea – UGH) but I just might have to check this one out because again…it’s JI SUNG. I can’t tell a single thing from this teaser but my first thought is that he’s covering for someone else. And according to an article from Naver posted on Soompi, Uhm Ki Joon plays twin brothers, one of whom is bi-polar. I gotta admit that I love mysteries. “Defendant” begins January 23rd on SBS.

Credit: Uploader, xxbitter_divinexx @Soompi, Naver

• Gem says:

Yuri, why dramagods, why, why, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy???
    When will Ji Sung get a female lead who can act, he has been down on luck in that front since KMHM. If they had to go for an idol, was Nana not available??

• ilchul says:

please drama be good!!

• sakura says:

THE TEASER IS LEGIT KILLING ME IT’S SO INTENSE!! Can’t wait to see the showdown between Ji Sung vs Uhm Ki Joon. It’s hard for me I’ve only seen UKJ in Dream High and he was the nicest character, now I gotta see him a little cuckoo in Defendant. Ji Sung playing intense characters give me so much life.

I gotta say its almost getting boring people are quick to complain when a female idol gets an oppurtunity to act. We haven’t seen a glimpse of her yet, so it’s unfair to judge so early in the game. Good for Yuri, I heard this is her first lead role, besides that webdrama. She was a natural comedian there, I’m quite excited to see how far her acting ability goes.

• Gem says:

I did complain and I stand by what I’ve said. Idols mostly can’t act except for a select few. After 2016 with its wide range of casting choices for Idols, safe to say it has been engraved in a stone. A singer obviously can shine as a singer, its not mandatory to be good at acting, they should train them in acting too then while launching them then. Why must good dramas suffer from their lack of skills??
      So boring or not, I don’t expect her to deliver. If she does, good for the drama but I am not holding my breath.

• sakura says:

“Except for a select few” You said it yourself. It’s not impossible if an idol manages to deliver a good performance. Few, but it does happen. Who knows maybe Yuri could potentially be one of them.

“They should train them in acting.” Pretty sure in SM Entertainment, Yuri along with Sooyoung and Yoona are the members that received both acting/singing/dance training. Yuri and Sooyoung have also both graduated in Theatre along with Park Shin Hye.

Look, I can understand the prejudice against idols who have been given numerous acting projects but still don’t seem to improve, but this is Yuri’s first lead role. New actors aren’t subjected to this much prejudice, why do idol actors get overly harsh prejudice when they haven’t even started yet?

“It’s not mandatory to be good at acting.” Of course, but a less popular member of a girl group that barely gets lines to sing has to do SOMETHING for herself in her career. Why not let her branch out in acting? Eugene from S.E.S did it. She’s trying out okay? If her acting turns out bad then by all means go ahead and judge, but we haven’t seen a proper glimpse of it yet besides a lead role in a webdrama.

“Why must good dramas suffer from their lack of skills” LMAO we don’t even know if Defendant will have a solid story? What good dramas are ruined from an idol’s acting, do tell me. If you want to talk Uncontrollably Fond, regardless whether or not Suzy’s acting was good or bad, it was doomed to a sad ending and a dragging plot that couldn’t save the drama even if they had gotten a better actress. Unless they got someone like Jun Ji Hyun. Coz lets be real, plot-wise Legend of the Blue Sea isn’t all that, but they’re going strong with ratings solely because of Lee Min Ho and Jun Ji Hyun’s star power.

It’s alright if you don’t expect her to deliver. I guess it’s better like that than having high expectations for a drama but then it disappoints. I personally don’t have high expectations nor am I holding my breath for her acting either, but there’s nothing we can do since she’s already casted, so might as well give her a chance. And if she does well, credit should be given ofc.

• Ani Lee says:

Looks like a cool, intense drama!

• Beez says:

Ji Sung looks sooooo good with that short hair. It’s hard for me to take any grown man serious with bangs (aka boy band hair). Especially the actors over 35. πŸ™‚

• mey says:

I’m hoping the story gives justice to my expectations and based on the teaser, it’s really intense and the fact that Uhm Ki Joon will be playing a double role plus villain again .. really looking forward πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚