English-Subbed “Behind Your Smile” Episode 12 Preview

Guys, I’ve got a new obsession and it’s Taiwanese drama Behind Your Smile!

I started watching it during my lunch breaks so it took about four days to complete the first episode.  However, I got hooked as soon as I was through with the pilot and now I’m pretty sure I’m going to be caught up soon. I’ll write a proper review then.

This is the synopsis I read (from Viki):

A curse condemns a man to immortality. Zhao Yi Ting (Marcus Chang) is never able to reincarnate due to the curse, so he lives among mortal humans forever and toys with man’s greedy tendencies. Yi Ting’s life becomes cold and meaningless. But when he meets Lei Xin Yu (Eugenie Liu), a young woman whose wealthy family has fallen on hard times, everything changes. He is drawn to Xin Yu in a way that he has not felt in a long time. Will Yi Ting discover a new lease on life through Xin Yu? “Behind Your Smile” is a 2016-2017 Taiwanese drama series. It is based on the German legend of Faust.

But I have no idea where this came from or if they just changed the storyline or something. There’s nothing about immortality. It’s the story of a man who seeks revenge against the woman who wronged him… and tries to do that through her daughter (the “fallen on hard times” bit applies).

So it’s not the most unique story but I’m loving this man falling for her despite himself. There’s also an awful second lead female I want to strangle.

There’s also a love triangle involving two brothers but 0 second lead syndrome here. I’m totally all about the sexy, cold-hearted man who’s gotten close to her for sinister reasons.

Anyway, here’s the preview:

Credit to the uploader, Viki

• Andie says:

Hello! I started watching this a while ago, first in fast-forward. The female lead was too ditzy for me at the beginning, it takes a while to warm up to her. The actress is not great, just serviceable. But oh man, Marcus Chang is so goood and his smile is just gorgeous! I got hooked after a while, although the story is nothing to write home about. We were lucky the beyond annoying second female lead evaporated for a while, but she came back in the past episode. Hope not for long.
    Anyway, my first time commenting. Thanks for all your work on the blog, it\’s one of my favourites.

• Clockwatcher Clockwatcher says:

I have to agree. The female lead is so dumb/ditzy and couldn’t do the most basic tasks but I eventually got over it. I think maybe by the end of Ep 2 and also because they at least showed her able to memorize orders so she wasn’t completely useless. Plus she’s a kind soul.

I haven’t yet gotten to where that nightmare fiancee disappears but I kinda skimmed through future episodes and was glad when he told her the engagement was off but not sure if she actually took that to heart.

I wasn’t digging the male lead at first but there’s something about him that just draws you into him. Maybe it’s because at first he’s so stern and cold that when he gives you a rare smile, he actually becomes the warm sun he skimmed to be in Xinyu’s life. I guess I fell for it too. Haha.

Anyway, thanks for commenting and I’m glad you like our blog.

• martha says:

I love the second lead even if he’s a bit bland LOL On the other hand Marcus does Bad Boy so well.

• nahaluk says:

My take away from the preview: “O, there is a second kiss…….o, that is a good kissing right there!”

• Stuart says:

Is there really no immortality angle? I’d be very happy if that’s true, as I’m not a fan of supernatural tropes, especially the way they tend to get used cyclically – immortality seems to be quite a common one at the moment.

• Summer says:

I’m so glad and appreciate that you brought up this drama. After kim bok ju, i couldn’t find my next go-to drama (i wasn’t really into goblin tbh). Marcus is a real charmer and he fits this role like a glove. Female isn’t watchable at first but they become amazing couple as time went by.

Thanks for ur post and love your blog.

• MinaBoom says:

I’m so glad you like it, over @ the soompi thread we concluded it was a Grammer error in the synopsis. And that he is immoral not immortal, also there is a through discussion going on regarding what might be the original story.
    Plz, do drop in. We can use more company.
    As for LX, while she comes off as annoying and naive @ 1st. But she grow in you after the 1st few eps. And knowing that she have tourette syndrome, help you understands her more.

Here is the link for the soompi thread